Thursday 14 April 2011

The Gallus Weegie chat with fashion designer Ben De Lisi

Image from www.bendelisi.com
Q1. Being a successful designer yourself and having previously been a mentor on the show Project Catwalk, what advice would you give to aspiring designers today?


Keep your eyes open and talk very little. Sketch everything that inspires you and learn how to sew. If you don't sew it's harder to know what is possible or not. Also remember fashion is not just about drawing pretty sketches it's about business.


Q2. Who or what would you consider to have been the most influential to your career? Are there any Scottish style icons which you have?


My paternal grandmother who taught me to sew, and my parents who said "you can be what ever you want and have what ever you want, just work hard and it will come.


Q3. What made you want to become a designer in the first place?


Not being able to afford the clothes I wanted when I was a teenager, so I made them.


Q4. You have been a successful designer for over 30years now, where do you get your inspiration from and how do you continue to produce designs which are fresh?


I take my inspiration from the 1950's and artists such as Picasso, Kandinsky, Rothko, Nicholsen etc. Also early Geoffry Beene, Calvin Klein, Halston and Claire McCardell.
Debenhams has the largest and most impressive collection of designers under their umbrella and such creates a forward and a dynamic fashion collection.


Q5. Being at the helm of Principles and having one of the largest selling ranges in the womenswear designers at Debenhams portfolio, you have that connection with the highstreet, do you feel that street style is becoming more influential in today’s fashion collections?


I think that I am a very privileged designer to be able to reach such a large customer base. I think that in the economic climate like this, its very cool to mix designer high street pieces with designer main ranges.


Q6. Do you find it easier designing for the highstreet compared to the high fashion catwalk shows?


The design process is the same, I take both very seriously.


Q7. As our blog is on Glasgow street style, we have to ask, what is your opinion on Glasgow’s sense of style?


Individual, confident, and bold. 


Q8. Our bias aside, where do you think has the best street style?

I am afraid LONDON and NEW YORK.


Q9. For our fashion forward readers, who would you consider to be the designer of the moment?


Richard Nicol and Johnathan Saunders. 


Q10. Finally, what is next for you?


A villa by the beach on an island somewhere, where I can paint and sculpt.


You can find more information about Ben De Lisi at http://www.bendelisi.com/